As Summer comes to an end and Autumn approaches, the outdoor living of summer begins to wind down therefore we recommend to consider carrying out some maintenance on the pond and or outdoor water feature. As leaves begin to fall they should be netted off the surface of the pond and vacuumed off the bottom. Any dead flower stalks and leaves should be trimmed from the plants and discarded. The fish can now be fed a lower protein diet as their metabolism slows and they will eat less and less.
Other basic tips;
- Plants can stop being fertilised, they will begin go dormant soon and will not require as much nutrient.
- Leaves that have fallen into the pond from surrounding trees should be removed.
- Sediment built up over summer should be removed.
- Pond plants can be separated and re-potted.
- Give your pond pump and filter a thorough “end of summer” clean.
As your fish's metabolism slows, they will slow down and become easy prey for birds, so adding pond netting or a Pond guard to your pond will help prevent bird predation.